W H WILLIAMSON, 81 Farringdon Rd, London. No 22656

76389

Good centre-seconds free-sprung Deck Watch with Admiralty history.

More details

Silver double back openface case hallmarked London 1917, casemaker C&W (Clarke & Ward, Kensington Rd, Coventry). Three-quarter plate keyless going-barrel movement jewelled to the 3rd (centre), with cap jewels on balance. lever and escape. Single-roller detached lever escapement. Compensation balance, free-sprung Palladium (not tested) balance-spring with overcoil. Perfect enamel dial, blued-steel hands. 53 mm diameter. Together with a copy of its Royal Navy history, the watch having been purchased at the end of the war, serving on HMS Wanderer and being based at Malta, Sheerness and the Cape of Good Hope.

Founded by Henry Williamson in 1865, they became an increasingly more important English wholesale and retail firm as they acquired the business of Charles Hutton Errington of Coventry in 1895, the remnants of the English Watch Company in 1897 and the Swiss business of Suter & Co (Buren) in 1899. With a head office in London, Williamson produced mainly machine-made pocket watches and some wristwatches (in Coventry), as well as clocks, and are known to have supplied government contract military watches and Deck Watches, such as this

HMS Wanderer, a 'W Class Destroyer' launched in May 1919 and serving throughout the 2nd World War.

Gilding rather scruffy, as usual during this war period, Otherwise in very good original condition, never having been made unwearable, as happened to the majority of Deck Watch that continued in service after the War. Serviced and guaranteed.


>